The Academic Success and Career Center provides internship support for WSU students through programs and courses that assist in preparation, search strategies, as well as placement referrals via Handshake. ASCC provides comprehensive career counseling and career services to help students integrate educational experiences with internships in the government, business, industry and non-profit/not for profit sectors.
Internship Pathways for Students
Detailed information is available in the Student Guide to Internships
- Internship career counseling and career guidance for:
- Information about internship pathways
- Exploration of interests, skills, and values to determine the types of internship to pursue
- Guidance on search strategies and developing your own internship
- Feedback on cover letters, resumes, and interviewing
- On-campus interviewing
- Internship listings through Handshake and other resources
- Use of the ASCC Resource Center (Lighty 180)
- Career Fairs/Expos and associated events
Requirements for Eligibility
- Must be a WSU Student
- Must have a WSU e-mail address
Steps for Students
- Meet with a career counselor during drop-in hours, a workshop, or by individual appointment. Already certified in your Major? Consult with the Internship Coordinator in your Academic Department (many departments have an internship coordinator or academic coordinator responsible for internships if you aren’t sure about who that is contact your department).
- Explore your interests, skills, and values to determine the type of internships to pursue.
- Receive guidance on where to look for internships, how to network, and how to develop your own internship.
- Draft a resume. Stop by the Academic Success and Career Center to have your resume reviewed (Mon-Fri, 2-4 p.m.) by a career counselor during drop-in hours.
- Register with Handshake and upload your resume. Use your WSU network ID and password to login. Check Handshake and other resources each week.
- Review internship listings and apply for opportunities.
- Sign up for on-campus interviews.
- Look for internship announcements in your academic department or meet with the internship coordinator for your major.
- Attend relevant ASCC workshops. See a current list of Workshops.
- Participate in career fairs and associated events and follow up with employers of interest
- Participate in on-campus interviews. Over 130 employers attend each Career Expo (career fair). Many Expo employers have internship opportunities available!
- Do a Mock Interview. Mock Interviews are held the day before each Expo. This allows you to practice your interview skills with an industry recruiter. Schedule a mock interview with a career counselor anytime throughout the year.
- Utilize resources to create your own internship. View the STEP BY STEP instruction guide to creating your own internship.
- Report your offers in Handshake.