Career Development is Self-Care

Have you ever taken a fall, suffered a cut or jammed your finger/toe and found yourself not wanting to look at the spot where it hurt most? In that moment it almost feels that it doesn’t become real until you see it. Career preparation can feel the same way, or worse, can feel like the problem gets bigger the longer you don’t look.

Josie Goodrich of Murrow News 8 explores the student perspective and what the ASCC can offer in her recent segment:

What I can say for certain is that you don’t have to look at and solve the problem all by yourself, and nothing is ruined because you haven’t already taken more action. The career coaches/staff at the ASCC and I are happy to answer questions, help you set goals and plan realistic and achievable steps to reach them. Your ability isn’t in question. All students at WSU can complete the individual components that make up a successful and satisfying career plan. You wouldn’t be a student at WSU if you couldn’t.

Wanting to avoid the anxiety caused by knowing the problem and needing to find a solution is something that I see very frequently as a career coach. Believe me, I get it, I’m in the picture and I don’t like it. The good news is when you do look you might find it wasn’t as bad as you expected.

By Harrison Hughes
Harrison Hughes Career Coach & Academic Advisor