Preparing for the Virtual Expo: Using Gather.Town
This Fall’s Career Expo & VCEA Technical Fair will provide an engaging and interactive platform for you to connect with employers. Gather.Town will simulate an actual fair and provide this engagement in a virtual setting. To prepare for the event, we have a few intros and overviews and some essential tips for success.
What You Need
- Desktop/laptop with a microphone and camera
- A web browser (Chrome or Firefox recommended)
- If in a public space, headphones/headset
Gather.Town’s mobile interface does not allow for full functionality. If you do not have the computer equipment to be fully present in the virtual setting, the Academic Success & Career Center will have computers (equipped with webcams and headsets) available. Just check-in at the front desk.
- Include your major in your Avatar’s Name. For example: “Amanda Smith – Chemical Engineering”
- Gather allows for screen sharing. Have your materials ready to share (resume, portfolios, work samples, etc.)
- Dress to impress. While virtual, this is still the first impression with a potential employer. Make sure you look the part!