Career Exploration Abroad
As part of WSU’s second Career Exploration Abroad cohort, you will fly to Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic, in May 2019 to spend three weeks earning six college credits learning about careers in Europe.
Thanks to WSU’s exclusive partnership with a successful study abroad organization, IFSA-Butler, you will live, study, and travel with other WSU students as well as professional career advisers.
You will take three courses, become familiar with Central European culture, and pursue professional development opportunities. You will also:
- Meet executives representing for-profit and non-profit businesses and organizations
- Network with Czech students from Prague College
- Explore The Republic’s second-largest city Brno as well as Vienna, Austria
Program Dates: May 7 – June 1, 2019
Eligibility: All majors with a GPA of 2.5 are welcome; there are no language requirements.
Judy I. Hopkins
Internship Development Coordinator and Lead Instructor for UNIV 301 and 398
Academic Success and Career Center
WSU Undergraduate Education
B.A. in Human Development, WSU
M.A. in Health Services Counseling | Life and Career Coaching emphasis, WSU
“I wear many hats in my job at WSU, from advising students one-to-one who seek jobs and internships, to teaching two UNIV career-related undergraduate courses, to working with employers and campus partners to connect students with internship opportunities.
“Personally, I live in Pullman with my husband of 39 years; our four adult children live all around the world. From 2004-2008, my husband and I lived in Malawi, Africa, where we worked with local community leaders on behalf of a faith-based organization and lead seminars, workshops, and retreats. Wherever I call home, I love to work out, bike, and eat great food around a table filled with good friends and conversation.
“I am deeply honored to be part of the new CEA program, and to travel to Prague with its first cohort of WSU students exploring career opportunities abroad.”
The Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA)-Butler. IFSA-Butler’s Prague center is based at the Central and East European Law Initiative (CEELI) Institute, with support from the private Prague College.
Fall Info Sessions
Attend any or all five information sessions led by Career Exploration Abroad staff on topics relevant to the program, such as your expectations and goals, how to fund your study abroad (including financial aid), required documents (such as a U.S. Passport), and a program overview.
Pre-departure Info Sessions
Spring-semester group meetings for applicants to discuss schedules, flight plans, set goals, make friends, plan details, and explore financial aid and expense options. See our calendar below for times, dates, and places.
Courses in Prague
- WSU UNIV 301 “College Major and Career Planning”: Hopkins, prereq soph standing, 1 cr
- WSU UNIV 304 “Navigating Academic and Career Transitions”: Kiel, prereq soph standing, 2 cr
- “Reimagining Europe”: IFSA-Butler faculty, 3 cr [upper-division (SSCI) UCORE]
- Covered by the Program: Costs will include courses, insurance, student housing, some meals, and trips to Brno and Vienna, for example
- Students are responsible for: International airfare, meals not included in program, printing/copying course charges, cell phone/SIM cards, and transcripts for WSU courses, for example
Scholarship Application (2018-19)
The fall/winter 2018/19 application for the Career Exploration Abroad scholarship is now closed. The deadline was Friday, February 1, 2019 by 5:00 p.m. You can contact CareersAbroad@wsu.edu if you have any further questions.
Calendar of Career Exploration Abroad Events
- Visit our info table in the CUB on:
- Nov. 8, 2018 (Thurs.), 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Nov. 15, 2018 (Thurs.), 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Nov. 27, 2018 (Tues.), 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Jan. 10, 2019 (Thurs.), 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Jan. 16, 2019 (Wed.), 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Jan. 24, 2019 (Thurs.), 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Jan. 30, 2019 (Wed.), 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Attend one of our Application Parties on:
- Nov. 28, 2018 (Wed.), 12:00-2:00 p.m., Lighty 180
- Dec. 4, 2018 (Tues.), 12:00-2:00 p.m., Lighty 180
- Jan. 15, 2018 (Tues.), 12:00-2:00 p.m., ASCC Lobby, Lighty building room 180
- Jan. 31, 2018 (Thurs.), 12:00-2:00 p.m., ASCC Lobby, Lighty building room 180